Monday, September 5, 2011

Why I am so happy!!!



What a week! No, the work has not progressed much. In fact... this was the worst numbers I have had on my mission! Never the less it was still a great week :)
We did not have a baptism. Charlotte was scheduled to be baptized and is totally golden but her family is not supportive. We need to get them activated first if we are to baptize her... they live in a tough environments. She is still set for baptism, but probably not for while.
I mentioned last week a family named Co--- and Je--- (forgot names, Welsh family). He just had surgery but they are still progressing and have some really great potential. Also I can’t remember if I told you but when I was with Elder Muller we met a lady while door knocking and she busted into tears while talking to us saying that her father was really ill. We never did get a return apt with her or any info but a few weeks ago the spirit prompts me to go and see her. So we did... she loved the visit once again broke into tears and once again didn’t get any apt or anything. Yesterday I felt the same impression. We went by. We learned that her father had passed away a few days previous. She broke into tears again, and said she wants to meet with us after the funeral which is in a week. She has a family of four and we are excited about them. We really felt her pain cuz she just was soso sad. Hopefully the plan of happiness will cheer her up. We will go by a week after the funeral. Other than that we really don’t have many new investigators that we are working with. I have no idea what or why it is; one of the weirdest things I have seen while I have been on my mission cuz I have never had a problem with finding, but I guess god is requiring us to go through this trial. This area down here too is an interesting area as well.

You may be wondering, if I had such a rubbish week, why am so happy? I will tell you why I am happy.
First, I am a missionary doing God’s work and I am is working hard.
Second, I passed my driving theory test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The one I failed a few months ago. I retook it and passed! Now I will need to take driving lessons and learn all of the maneuvers for the actual test... ugh. Driving lessons are expensive too. So I am planning on taking my test in a month or two time.
Third, Elder Bednar came to our mission. Holy cow what a crazy experience. We had a mission conference up in Reading and we had to drive four hours to get to it (our zone is in the boonies). Elder Bednar did a question and answer session. One of the questions I had on my mind was why we aren’t having greater success? Someone asks a question along those lines. His answer was basically, "Well who cares? If God requires you to go through a tough time on your mission for your learning and growing then go through it." I thought....yeah! Yeah, he’s right! He also got into some deep stuff on priesthood keys, which was really neat. He talked about how too often we treat people as objects and not agents. He said we can only bring the gospel "unto, not into" their hearts. I found that really interesting. He said that if God blessed you perfectly according to your obedience and love for the work then every single person that Pres. Monsoon talked to would be baptized. I found that really great as well. Bring the gospel “unto no into” and treat them as “agents not objects.” Agents to act not objects to be acted upon. his testimony was also sooo strong!!! It was crazy. I had a front row seat. I was in the mission choir and he pointed me out as a joke and said "Elder White, what is the baptismal covenant?" Yeah, I about died! Then he said "I’m just joking!" He then went on to say that he won’t point anyone out, cuz anyone like Elder White, when called upon by an Apostle of God would do what I just did and forget what it was, and freak out. Ha it was funny.
It was a really good conference. Really boosted my spirits. This transfer has been a tough one. But we will just keep working hard. God will provide.
We are doing a member missionary fireside down here which President Shamo will speak at which is really neat cuz pres. is so far away (I love that man). We are also doing member missionary plans that we are trying to get kicked off here.
We are working with the members big time. One can only find for so long a day. I can normally only take four hours of tracting, and then I go crazy. After so many doors slammed in your face or people telling you God doesn’t exist, or others saying you belong to a cult... yeah members are the true key.
I love you all and thanks for all of the prayers. Please pray for the people of Plymouth to soften their hearts so that when we bring the word “unto” them they will take it “into” their hearts.