Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Islands




For the first time in two years I am sun burned. For the first time in a year and a half I boarded a plan... and I did it three times. For the first time in my life as well I was hugged by a General Authority.

We had a great leadership training this past week, and then we had Elder Jensen come and speak to us as a mission. It was really good. I enjoyed it. He had each of us go up and shake his hand. But, before doing so he told all of us, "I would like to have a short interview with all of you and so if you could come up here and shake my hand that would be great." I think all of the missionaries began repenting of all they had done! ha ha I was the last one up there, along with Elder Simmons.  Elder Jenson’s his wife saw my name tag and said, "Jay I think we have a winner." Then he asked me if I knew Sue.  I told him she was my neighbor.  So he pulled out of his suit pocket a note from her, and then he gave me a hug. I think all of the missionaries thought I had failed the test, and that he had found something in my soul! But no it was really good, and very sweet of him to do that as well as Sue. Would you pass on my thanks to her :)

Well after Elder Simmons and I went out to the Channel Islands by request of President because  he wanted us to go and see some of the members out there.  Especially, he wanted us to check up on the missionaries and a branch. I think he is thinking on putting a senior couple out there, but I am not sure. So we flew out Saturday evening to Guernsey. It was really weird because I didn’t think I would get on another plane until I went home. As we left I looked at Simmons and said we are leaving English soil! It was weird. Anyway so we landed.  Guernsey is a crazy beautiful place! It is a small island about 5 miles across. The fastest speed limit you can go is 35 mph. The roads are tiny and the whole island is like one village. The airport is a small runway, and that’s it. The branch there has only 10 active members, and 4 of them are from one family. So at the branch they had me and Elder Simmons to speak, and I was humbled. There was a boy of 16 years, and neither of his parents are members. I was humbled to see such a young man and I wonder if I would have had the strength to do that. There was small little 4 year old Joseph who pleaded with the missionaries there to find him a Primary, as he is the only member of his Primary. Since then the missionaries have fasted and prayed to find such and they now have three dates set.  The three dates set include one that has three kids, and the other has two kids.  So each week little Joseph has a Primary. I was humbled to see such faithful saints who met in such a small, one room school house, praising God with such a spirit that you would have thought it was General Conference. It was indeed amazing. It reminded me of the scripture of “Where two or three are gathered in my name there will I also be with them.” Also on the Island, mum you talked about this earlier, but Hitler was convinced that if the allies were to attack France they would go through the islands and so he took them over and he LOADED them up with pill boxes and trenches and bunkers and he dug tunnels, etc. So the island is loaded with trenches, bunkers and underground tunnels. Simmons and I went to the cliff’s edge, to one of the hundreds of bunkers.  We went inside, it was by far the biggest bunker I have been in (much bigger then Hawaii).  It had five floors, it was black as black and went deep; deep into the ground.  We have a ten minute video of us exploring the whole bunker. It scared me to death. The whole time I was waiting for some creepy man to jump out! Anyway so we have tons of pics of that and at the cliffs, and the beaches, the trenches, and at church. It was really good. However Simmons and I got lost up on the cliff side in the bushy area and the forest area and it took us two hours of our p-day to find out way back to the beach.
The Jersey Island is the touristy island. You can see France from there; it is only 8 or 9 miles away. We didn’t stay there long, but we were able to work with the sisters there. One of them is from Ukraine and the other from Samoa. It was really good. They are doing great and the ward there loves them. 
Well family love you tons!

Elder Michael White