Monday, January 17, 2011

"Sure, I'll give it a try"




To start off I wanted to tell you a little bit about Dan, the man who we baptized the Tuesday before Christmas. He is so great he is 22 and in the Military. He is solid as a rock, the epitome of faith; he even blessed the Sacrament last Sunday. Before we baptized him, and we were still teaching him, we would teach him something and he wouldn’t question it but he would say, "Sure, I will give it a try." Then he would try living this or that commandment and he would receive a witness to the particular commandment we taught him. He is such a great person. His wife had their baby today and she is doing really well. Hopefully when she recovers she will want to be baptized also. They are about as good as you can get.
The military estate has been amazing! There are about 500 families that live there, and we are teaching a lot there on the estate. It is literally its own village. Whenever we go there we run into people that have seen us or have heard about us. Last week we talked to a lady who helps run the estate. She told us we could use the council hall to do a meeting for people who are interested in our church. We just have to wait until it is finished being painted. We are excited for that.
Our investigators from South Africa are solid. We need to just get them to stop drinking and then they will feel worthy. Their friends are solid as well they just need to get their answer from God so they will know the church is true, but they are truly searching for truth. They also have crazy schedules due to the military so that is really hard to teach them because of their schedules. But, I know that God will help us work all that out.
Lisa and family: they are set to be baptized this Sunday. She has 2 children that want to be baptized with her. They are great so please keep them in your prayers.
OK, now for the funny stuff…..Remember how I said the ward was going to have me sing at the Christmas party? Well, they had another party with a talent show to make up for the canceled Christmas party. The sister over it swindled me into singing a couple of songs from the musical “Joseph”. (“Close Every Door” and “Any Dream Will Do”). Isn’t that funny! Wow, I won’t lie I tore the place up!! Investigators also came so I think it was good for them to see me sing and realize that besides being a missionary I am also a normal person... I will send you the pictures.
Elder White singing from "Joseph" at the ward party.
This Sunday the Mission President came to our ward. We had so many people at church. The chapel was full and we almost had to open the curtains. (that would be a first time). One of the members brought her friend to church. After we talked to her friend and she told us she wanted to be baptized. There was a lot more to the story but it was pretty amazing. She wants to join the church we are hoping we can baptize her the first part of February.
Today we went into the Windsor Castle. It normally costs but a member got us in for free. That is the most amazing place I have ever been to!!!! I saw King Henry the VIII and Lord Nelson’s graves and tons of other stuff . The stain glass windows and the artwork were amazing... WOW, you all would have loved it.